Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The point of photography

I often find myself getting depressed about my photography. You know, "Why am I doing this?" and that sort of thing.

Part of that reason is linked to the fact that some part of me down deep still wants to make a living with photography. I have a hard time justifying the expense of something like this "just for fun."

Another reason that I've stumbled upon the last couple weeks is because I rarely make prints for myself anymore. Looking at images on a screen is nice, but it is not the same thing as seeing a print. And I believe -- old-fashioned though it may be -- that the print is the ultimate "point" of a photograph. 

So I'm going to make a concerted effort to make myself prints more often. I'm not going to spend a terrible lot of money on these personal prints.  In fact, Walgreens sent out an e-coupon the other day for a free 8x10. So I took them up on their offer and made a print for myself of the Santa Fe No. 1050 picture which is now hanging over my sofa.

No comments:

Post a Comment